Saturday, March 13, 2010

Act

"The sun is bright but my eyes is wide open. I stand at the bus stop like I been doing for forty-odd years.In thirty minutes, my whole life's...done. Maybe I ought to keep writing, not just for the paper, but something else, about all the people I know and the things I seen and done. Maybe I ain't too old to start over, I think. Cause just last night I thought I was finished with everthing new." The HelpKathryn Stockett

"Sometimes, when I'm bored, I can't help but think what my life would be like if I hadn't written the book [insert your choice here]. Monday, I would've played bridge. And tomorrow night, I'd be going to the lLeague meeting and turning in the newsletter. Then on Friday night, Stuart would take me to dinner and we'd stay out late and I'd be tired when I got up for my tennis game on Saturday. Tired and content and ...frustrated.

Because Hilly would've called her maid a thief that afternoon, and I would've just sat there and listened to it. And Elizabeth would've grabbed her child's arm too hard and I would've looked away, like I didn't see it. And I'd be engaged to Stuart and I wouldn't wear short dresses, only short hair, or consider doing anything risky like write a book about colored housekeepers, too afraid he's disapprove. And while I'd never lie and tell myself I actually changed the minds of people like Hilly and Elizabeth, at least I don't have to pretend I agree with them anymore." -The Help Kathryn Stockett

No comments:

Post a Comment