Thursday, August 14, 2014

Go Outside for Air

"Over the hill she came, her long legs scarcely touching the ground, the cups of her ears listening, with obvious pleasure, to the wind as it stroked the dark arms of the pines; once or twice she lingered and browsed some moist patch of half-wrapped leaves, then came along to where I was-- or nearly--and then, among the thousand bodies of the trees, their splashes of light and their shadows, she was gone; and I, who was heavy that day with thoughts as small as my whole life would ever be, and especially compared to the thousand shining trees, have thanks to whatever sent her in my direction that I might see, and strive to be, as clearly as she was, beyond sorrow, careless, soft-lipped angel walking on air."

-Mary Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment