Thursday, August 14, 2014

Late Night Thoughts for Everything

"I used to be so afraid to perform on stage. I would often get a migraine heartache before a performance. I felt the pressure of singing just right, looking just right, making the right moves, saying the right things. I felt like I was under a microscope because I had not yet learned that performing music is an act of sharing. Not an act of showing. And also, there is no 'right.' When I remember to share and to forget myself on stage, it is the most energizing and joyful feeling. I find that I have to remind myself of this principle in other areas of my life that cause me anxiety. Sometimes I worry about eyes watching me and judging me through social media or even in person. It can get so exhausting at times that I want to throw in the towel and hide and live out my life where no one can see me and therefore, no one can judge me. What a load of garbage! Living in fear is not a way to live. If I can dance lie a fool, break all the rules of proper vocal technique, wear tutus and sneakers, and speak unscripted from a stage then I can certainly apply the metaphorically to the stage of my life."

-Mindy Gledhill

No comments:

Post a Comment